The Canadian Mental Health Association of New Brunswick Inc (CMHA of NB) is part of a nationwide, voluntary organization that promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness. CMHA of NB accomplishes this mission through advocacy, education, research, and service. CMHA of NB is guided by the values of self-determination, social justice, integrity, and respect. CMHA of NB believes strongly in workplace wellness, encourages self-care, flexibility, and a healthy work-life balance.
About the Job:
The Human Resource (HR) Assistant duties involve a wide range of support activities inside the HR department, such as coordinating meetings, maintaining employee databases, and posting job ads. The HR Assistant role is to act as the liaison between HR and employees, ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of requests and questions. The HR Assistant will also assist in creating policies, processes, and documents.
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the HR functions and duties
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the Director of Finance and Human Resources
- Compile and update employee records (hard and soft copies)
- Process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel activities (staffing, recruitment, training, performance evaluations, etc.)
- Coordinate HR projects (meetings, training, surveys, etc.) and take minutes
- Deal with employee requests regarding human resources issues, rules, and regulations
- Properly handle complaints and grievance procedures
Recruitment / New Hire Process
- Participating in recruitment efforts
- Posting job ads and organizing resumes and job applications
- Scheduling job interviews and assisting in interview process
- Collecting employment and tax information
- Ensuring background and reference checks are completed
- Preparing new employee files
- Orienting new employees to the organization (setting up a designated log-in, workstation, email address, etc.)
- Serving as a point person for new employee questions
- Maintaining current HR files and databases
- Updating and maintaining employee benefits, employment status, and similar records
- Maintaining records related to grievances, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions
- Performing file audits to ensure that all required employee documentation is collected and maintained
- Completing termination paperwork and assisting with exit interviews.
- Education in human resources or a related field combined with relevant work experience
- A recent satisfactory criminal record and vulnerable sector check
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses)
The HR Assistant will demonstrate competencies that are essential to this position, which include:
- Adept problem-solving skills, including being able to identify issues and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal skills, build and maintain relationships, put people at ease, show empathy and genuineness
- Professional, compassionate, and non-judgmental communication skills
- The ability to communicate clearly in both official languages, both written and orally, as to communicate with employees, members of the senior management team, and in group presentations and meetings
- The ability to effectively read and interpret information, present numerical data in a resourceful manner, and skillfully gather and analyze information
- The ability to prioritize and plan work activities as to use time efficiently
- Being organized, accurate, thorough, and able to monitor work for quality
- Being dependable, able to follow instructions, respond to management direction, and must be able to improve performance through management feedback
- Empathy towards persons of diverse backgrounds and lived experiences, always providing a positive, supportive, and enthusiastic point of contact
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as independently
- Willingness to participate in organizational development and education opportunities
- Ability to ensure the security and confidentiality of employee information and records
- Excellent computer literacy skills (MS Office 365 / Databases)
- The work location is CMHA of New Brunswick, Fredericton office
- The usual work week is 37.5 hours
- Flexible working hours may be required
How to Apply:
Please apply by submitting your cover-letter and resume in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org . Review will be on a rolling basis until the search is successful.
CMHA of NB is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the New Brunswickers we serve. As an equal opportunity employer, we actively support workplace equity for all persons, and are committed to including and reflecting the population we serve. CMHA of NB encourages applicants to identify as belonging to one of the designated groups of the Employment Equity Act. Preference shall be given to those who demonstrate they are among the most qualified as stated above. Employment Equity Act.
We thank all those who apply; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We promote a scent-reduced environment
We are an equal opportunity employer
The Canadian Mental Health Association of New Brunswick is committed to mental health for all and helping improve the lives of New Brunswickers every day.