To develop strategies within the community that will aid in the prevention of suicide.
- Suicide is a societal problem that has multiple causes.
- There is a responsibility to provide alternative ways of addressing psychological or physical suffering.
- Resources and services to help vulnerable persons need to be available and accessible.
Examples of Projects
- Suicide Help Cards.
- Development of Web Page.
- Suicide Prevention Week Activities.
- ASIST 2-day suicide intervention workshop.
- ASIST Refresher.
- Public Awareness/High School Blitz.
- Suicide Bereavement Kits.
- Suicide and Men Workshop.
- Link Program for High School Students.
Broad community participation is a key component of the success of the Regional Community Suicide Prevention Committees. The members of these committees comprise people with differing skills and backgrounds which ensures that the committees are truly represent their communities.
Composition of Suicide Prevention Committees
- Department of Education.
- Non-Profit groups.
- Public Health Workers.
- Mental Health Workers.
- Addiction Services.
- Clergy/Pastoral Services.
- Consumer Representatives.
- College/University Students.
- Native Persons.
The 15 Community Suicide Prevention Committees are dedicated to working towards the Prevention of Suicide in New Brunswick.
This post is also available in: Français (French)